Friday, February 24, 2012

Why have you been out of work for so long?

Read this blog from Simply Hired:

“Why have you been out of work for so long?" Another Tough Interview Question

By Martin Yate CP

My take is this. Don't be out of work for so long! Employers don't want to hire deadbeats. Sounds harsh, right? It's the wrong mindset, but it's the reality of what a lot of HR folks think about people who've been out of work for so long. So don't be.

You're probably asking. But how? I can't find a job. I'm getting an unfair shake. (I can hear Jeffrey Gitomer's whiny voice here) On and on you can go complaining and rationalizing your position, but that won't find you work. So what's the answer?

Easy. Don't be out of work. If you get layed off, fired, whatever don't stop. Start consulting. Go after business. Make connections. Shoot, you may find a job from knocking the socks off some clients as a consultant.

The best answer I've heard is "I have several (or a few) projects going that I would need to wrap up.

Please feel free to check out our current job openings on my links widget to the right. 

1 comment:

  1. Josh, Thank you for this post. I have been doing a lot of interviews and found this post helpful. Another question I get a lot is, "Tell me about a time when you were busy, and what you did to get everything done." What qualities are they seeking for in this question? How would you answer it?

    Dave dbeckster22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete